Heyo Canadian Atheist folks – it’s me! Katie! You might remember me from a while back…
I left for a little while to go write for Teen Skepchick and now I’m back. Here’s why:
1. Rebecca Watson (and a lot of her following, really) is a cyber bully. Plain and simple. For a (semi) recent example, see this. Sara pointed out a very legitimate point but instead of discussing that point in a logical and interesting manner Rebecca just attacks her. I have seen this happen a number of times with Rebecca and other people on the skepchick network. When people point out a legit problem they attack instead of thoughtfully engage.
2. I am a feminist, and I don’t agree with Rebecca et al. as I find them pedantic. In the link in the above point Rebecca picks on the term “ragging”. This sort of stuff is a waste of time, IMO. I just disagree with the level of severity that she takes on things, ie.
3. Go try and disagree with Rebecca or someone on that site (or off the site) and see how fast the skepchick network minions jump on you and eat you alive. Even writing this post my fiance said to me “you’re marking yourself as an enemy” because speaking out against the skepchick network puts a mark on you; it shouldn’t be that way. The skepchicks call for apologies from people all the time but I think they should apologize for being pretty nasty/silly to people (especially in comments; which… I don’t have the time or energy to sort through right now).
4. As an academic I value freedom of speech, good & rich discussions and logical conclusions; this is rarely found on the skepchick network. I don’t value hypocritical crap. They do realize that with the whole Ron Lindsay kurfuffle they are proving the exact point that Lindsay was trying to make, right?
5. I don’t want to be associated with these attitudes and approaches to real life problems. I would rather be associated with thoughtful and calm reactions to what people say. I’ve been known to flip my lid now and then but Rebecca et al seem to do it a lot… and they do it to unexpecting people who do not warrant the wrath of online anger. Her approaches to issues are not academic or logical (like the talk on evolution I linked to above).
6. I’m not a teen so I feel a bit funny writing for teen skepchick…
I just wrote a post defending CFI and I don’t think many people have read it… however when I wrote a post blasting CFI about a year ago they were more than willing to make it front page news. Skepchick runs on drama and I’m getting too tired for that and I no longer want to be associated with such irrational and strong reactions to legitimate concerns and questions arising in the skeptics community.
There is a lot to talk about in this world. A lot of things to fight for. There is no reason we should be fighting with one another.
So… I’m back!